The recurring decimal... why the weighty frame keeps rebounding!

Weighing up the question that keeps popping up in my half a century of existence, is why the weighty frame won't just melt away, leaving me fit and fine.

My phases of weight loss, stabilisation and regain had often been drastic, to put it mildly. The weightier me just won't give up. I was condemned to a life of an overweight frame, if not outright obesity. 

It first started with my early bodybuilding obsession, and I reached its climax, losing an entire 5 to 6 inches from my waist.Out came the chiseled jaw and a more muscular body line.Oh, those halcyon days of the late eighties!

The glory, however, did last a mere few months.I could feel the oodles coming back with a vengeance.The flabby chin enveloping the once chiseled jaw, the trimmed waist loosening up, more flesh creeping up on my chest, belly and dorsal side.I could, simultaneously, feel my metabolism slowing down. Where once a sense of elation and athleticism emancipated all over my aesthetic frame, a resignation of fait accompli had seeped in. Life really sucked!

Something had to be done, some difficult bridges need to be crossed. Something had to give in. I joined the university athletic club and the coach put me on to rigorous training. I jogged the football field wearing a pullover when the temperature was well above 35 degrees Celsius.The rounds were gruelling, but I was having the satisfaction that something is working, I am on the right trajectory. 

I also backed this trajectory with sipping lemon&honey combo in warm water. It didn't take me long. I WAS INDEED LOOSING WEIGHT FAST. I lost close to 30 kgs, and was beginning to fall on the underweight side of the weighing scale. I had flipped a critical tipping point. Stop! You aren't looking good at your height. Don't become skinny, you would look horrible. My mom shrieked at this unsavoury thought. Stop, did I.

The piles of flab didn't come on suddenly, and the weight remained steady through occasional burst of energy in the gym. It wasn't bad, I still had a slightly likable frame.I continued doing some sprinting post gym, although long jogging rounds totally ruled out.

The weights enveloped my body once again, as I graduated to a professional degree course. They gained more severity in the final year of the course, and I was HUGE, looking colossal at my height amongst fellow classmates. Again, I went on to the same reducing rigmarole. This time it wasn't so intense. Mostly diet based, though starved myself at most occasions during the day. Wasn't a pleasant feeling, remained depressed in shades of grey.

Entered into the professional life,


and then found it difficult to keep the weight surge in check. Tried long walks from home to the bus point and back, tabbed diets in the morning and evening, starved myself out in the night and did a light aerobics to start the day. The weight stablised to ideal range with intermittent rise to the upper level of this range.It was like hanging on from the slippery slope. Difficult push made more difficult by the need to starve my system by the night. 

Started jogging in the morning to an adjacent forest resort, and then back to home. This routine was peppered with aerobics to tone up the body. The build up sustained well until it was time to be in academics again.This time international travel to a British business school was on cards.Then it deteriorated and the controls slipped under the weight of extreme economy, having to manage a shoestring budget as an international student.The pounds came rolling back with an outsize vengeance. All the painful work draining down the flush.

Watch this space for the long drawn battle going forward and how the war was won.

Please donate generously if you like this free article and support a budding writer.Kind to send your contributions on:

https://ko-fi.com/shariqthedolphin







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Career bump up, leisure, dinning out and Chinese food

Home cooking advantage erodes under work life imbalances

Back to square one, but with a twist in tale